According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), two-thirds of fire deaths occur in homes without working smoke alarms, smoke alarms are the first indicator something is wrong. Tomorrow is not only a time to spring forward but also a time to check and change your smoke alarm batteries. Firefighters cannot stress enough that smoke detectors are their number one tool to save and protect lives.
Here are some more fire safety tips:
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month to ensure they are working properly
- Make sure everyone in the home knows how to respond if the alarm sounds
- Practice home fire drills
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning your smoke detectors
- Instructions can be found on the company’s website if you don’t have them any longer
- Never borrow a smoke detector’s battery for another use