“Here in the First State, AmeriCorps members strive to improve the overall quality of life in their communities. At the same time, members also develop leadership skills, learn responsibility, and expand their own educational opportunities. By challenging individuals and communities to do more for themselves, AmeriCorps members have a unique opportunity to enrich their own lives, as well as the lives of others.”
— Governor Ruth Ann Minner
- Increase the health, safety, and preparedness of New Castle County residents.
- Increase the number of firefighters in New Castle County.
- Increase public awareness about the needs and services of the New Castle County volunteer fire companies, Office of Emergency Management, and City of Wilmington Fire Department.
- Enhance ESC member’s personal and professional skill levels while increasing their civic participation and commitment to service.
- Increase the number of volunteer firefighters in New Castle County by 50 people. Increase the number of volunteer firefighter applications by 100 people. Each full time member at a volunteer station is responsible for having a minimum of 10 people fill out an application for his/her station and 7 people becoming members.
- Increase outreach to the New Castle County community through a minimum of 100 presentations to school, civic, and/or community groups about the need for and value of volunteer firefighters.
Conduct a minimum of 30 community CPR courses during the year. Each member is responsible for setting up a minimum of 2 classes and assisting with a minimum of 3 additional classes.
Additional objectives established through individual placements